Step by step how to deregister as a resident in Spain

According to data from the National Statistics Institute (INE), in 2023 it is estimated that approximately 80,000 foreigners left Spain, representing an increase of 15% over the previous year.

If you decide to leave Spain, it is highly advisable to cancel your residence in the country. This process involves the following steps:

  1. To deregister in the municipality where he/she currently resides.
  2. Communicate to Extranjería your departure from Spain and the cancellation of your visa or residence.
  3. Hand in the EIT or EU residence card at the National Police Station or Aliens Office that issued the card.

What happens if I do not cancel my residence in Spain?

Although this procedure is often overlooked once the decision to leave is made, it is advisable to do so in order to avoid future problems, such as tax complications or possible visa denials in your new country of residence.

What should I do?

When managing the cancellation for our clients, the first thing we need to know is the planned departure date. This allows us to calculate the right time to start the process and schedule the necessary appointments, avoiding leaving it to the last minute or doing it too soon.

Steps in the process:

Step 1: Depending on your departure date, we organise the first appointment at the town hall to deregister. This appointment is simple; all you need to bring is your passport or residence card, depending on the document with which you initially registered.

Step 2: Once you have been removed from the register, we will submit a letter on your behalf, previously signed by you, to the Aliens Office. This letter will include your personal details and a declaration that you are no longer a Spanish resident.

Step 3: The last step is to hand in your residence card, either the plastic TIE card or the green residence certificate if you are an EU citizen. You must hand it in at the National Police Station or at the Aliens Office that issued the card. You will need to bring your passport and residence card. They will confirm the deregistration and surrender of the card in the system and give you a stamped copy of the deregistration form to complete the process.

Can I help you with the management?

Yes, of course. I will arrange the appointments, fill in the necessary forms, prepare and submit the application to the Aliens Office, and accompany you to the appointments. You can then move to another country with the peace of mind that your residence in Spain has been correctly cancelled.